Mental health problems are common and affect 1 in 4 adults at some time in their life so if you’re struggling with anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts or other issues, you’re not alone.
What can my GP do?
As well as being a listening ear, your GP can signpost you to useful resources, consider with you whether a sick-note or medication might be helpful and talk you through your options.
In a crisis?
If you or someone you are concerned about is in an emotional or mental health crisis that requires an urgent response then either:
- Contact your GP and explain the problem
- Phone NHS on 111
- Call the Bristol Mental Health crisis line – 0300 555 0334. This line is open 24 hours a day, every day.
- Call the Samaritans Bristol – 0117 983 1000. This line is open 24 hours a day and you can also contact the national helpline on 116 123 (free) or text on 07725 909090.
- Call Bristol Mindline - 0808 808 0330. This line is open Wednesday-Sunday 8:00pm until midnight.
- Call HOPELINEUK - 0800 068 4141. This line is open 9:00am–10:00pm weekdays, 2:00pm – 10:00pm weekends and bank holidays.
Below is a list of further contact information for counselling and other resources:
- VitaMinds (Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire) 0333 200 1893: works in partnership with the NHS to provide mental wellbeing services
- WomanKind 0345 458 2914 / 0117 916 6461: Free or affordable counselling for women.
- Severnside Institute for Psychotherapy 0117 927 3898: Can offer longer term psychotherapy on a means tested basis.
- Network Counselling 0117 950 7271: This line is open 9:30am to 4:00pm to arrange an appointment. They offer some counselling for children from the age of 11 years. Sessions usually cost around £25 but will ask you to contribute as much as you can afford.
- Off the Record 0808 808 9120: Sessions usually cost around £25 but will ask you to contribute as much as you can afford.
- The Bridge Foundation 0117 942 4510: Personal counselling at £25-40 per session depending on income. Child and family psychotherapy service at £60-90 for two assessments, subsequent sessions at a reduced price. Also free family counselling for families in inner city area with children under 11 years.
- Wessex Counselling Service 01373 453 355: Based in Frome but have premises at Orchard Street, Bristol. First session £35, subsequent sessions £13-38 depending on income.
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies 0330 320 0851: They maintain a list of qualified counsellors in behavioural and cognitive therapies.
- Avon Counselling and Psychotherapy Service 0117 930 4447: Free counselling for under 25yrs. They also have drop-in service Monday to Friday from 11:30am. Can provide a list of private counsellors in your area.
- NHS Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Bristol Mind
- Young Minds
- Give us a Shout
- Mind: Coronavirus and your wellbeing
- Depression UK
- Bereavement Advice Centre
- Happymaps: is a locally developed website for parents and professionals with reliable up to date resources on emotional health for all ages from babies to young adults. It will give you access to websites, books, videos, support groups and apps for mental health problems affecting children and teenagers.
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.